Email address

You know what to do

I was going to write a post about how I’ve been playing Fallout: New Vegas and Civilization V in French, and about how to sync up a Wii remote with your computer so you can make Anki nicer to use, and about how nice it feels to do Anki reps on an iPad if you have one, and about the power of watching full seasons of TV shows, and maybe I was even going to make a clever comic about not needing to study grammar. But then I remembered that you already know what to do. I’m still going to write those articles, but for now…

benStillerDoIt

Matt is an unorthodox teacher and, above all, an unorthodox writer. He taught himself French mostly by watching TV, and now lives in Korea where he is training for the International Bench-press/Bicep Biathlon.

Latest posts by Matt (see all)

george January 5, 2013 at 12:00 am

This comment goes for both of you, Matt and Ramses. First I am really having fun with the system that we have here. That is why I already have a bunch of videos downloaded from youtube of Animes that I used to watch as a kid in their version aired in either Spain or Latin America. I even have the los Simpsons funny really even in a language you don’t fully understand yet. But ;ately I have been listening to some podcasts as well and they are from a couple from Notes in Spanish . com. first of all I find it neat that they are speaking in Castillan accent which is really rare to find and the expressions really sound “Spanish” But Have you guys heard of them? If so Please tell me your take and your opinion about them. (This goes to other readers as well pls answer my question. Gracias por leias.

Matt January 6, 2013 at 1:05 am

I haven’t heard anything about them, maybe Ramses can help! *pulls out wizard’s staff* I SUMMON RAMSES!!!!

*waits* …

Ramses January 7, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Heard of… what? Notes in Spanish?

The Castillian accent is VERY common, if you watch TV from Spain ;-) I started out with Notes in Spanish but soon found that discovering expressions on your own is so much cooler and more rewarding.

george January 7, 2013 at 10:10 pm

yes thanks. Do you have any websites where castillan accent is common? because what I have noticed is that youtube is full of spanish episodes of movies and serries yes, but rarelly will you find the ones that are from spain most of them are the Latin American versions. I am using the firefox free download add on so I am able to download these I just need to know some tips of what to watch. Thanks

Ramses January 7, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Nah, Youtube sucks for shows and movies. Use sites likes seriesyonkis.com instead. Also, search this blog for more links, I know there are.

george January 8, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Muchas gracias! I’ll be searching those at home.

george January 11, 2013 at 8:18 am

I am trying serries yonkis, but I couldn’t watch a thing? it keeps on pushing for the i mesh or something? I don’t know what to click

Livonor January 5, 2013 at 8:33 pm

That’s just what I need

btw, have you played Skyrim?

Matt January 6, 2013 at 1:03 am

I sure have! I find that Fallout 3/Fallout: New Vegas have more talking in them, but Skyrim is definitely a viable option for gaming + L2 immersion. In fact I almost bought it in the Steam Christmas sale, but remembered that the two Fallout games have like 500 hours of gameplay, so I’m pretty much set for a while :D

Livonor January 10, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I love Fallout series, it has a amazing set of voices and dialogues, all very badass and common, but skyrim has that medieval vibe that makes japanese seens the coolest language on earth (of course I’m kidding, japanese already IS the coolest language on earth).

Bai dã uei… how do you deal with the radio?, cuz… you know, all the musics are in english, so it”s useless for us. Have you ever used one of those mods to replace the original soundtrack with other musics in you L2?

Matt January 11, 2013 at 2:09 am

I’ve actually been running French news in my second monitor while I play, so I’m still immersed during the non-dialogue parts.

Livonor January 13, 2013 at 3:30 am

news? bléééééé……

Ramses January 7, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Is there a lot of talk in the Skyrim games? I’m currently playing Assassin’s Creed in German. Loads of dialogue!

Livonor January 10, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I used to play assassin’s creed like you but then I took a 矢 in the 膝. And don’t notice many dialogues, at least in the first game, I just talk with the guy who gives a mission and that’s all, and I played the spanish version, what a strange language, they say “cuchillos” instead of “adagas”, how do you survive all those years listening those words?

Ramses January 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Starsky and Hutch was the first movie I saw dubbed in Spanish without ever seeing it first in English. I’ll never forget Stiller say “¡Hazlo!”.

Matt January 9, 2013 at 9:05 am

DO IT.

Ramses January 11, 2013 at 12:43 pm

No idea, didn’t use it in a loooong time. But you know how to use Google, right?