Email address

French Booster Pack #1

The Language Dojo Bible

What are The Language Dojo Booster Packs?
I’m glad you (I) asked (myself)! TLD Booster Packs are collections of 10 essential / useful / fun links for your L2! Add them to your bookmarks, then add your favorite L2 links in the comments! Sharing means caring! …exclamation points!!!

ESSENTIAL

• T411.me   -The most important site of all. It’s France’s ThePirateBay.
  • DPStream.net   -The best part is the forum – direct download pretty much anything.
  • Wiktionnaire   -The best French dictionary. Tons of example sentences. Free!

USEFUL

FUN

• Frapstesjeux   -Let’s Plays of video games, 100% French commentary.
  • Lets-play.fr   -The other huge French Let’s Play site.
  • Reddit.com/r/France   -90% French. Ignore the English stuff.
  • Cyprien   -A pretty funny youtube channel. Short videos about lots of stuff.
  • Ed-Wood.net   -My go-to source for movie and music reviews. Anyone who loves Twin Peaks as much as me is cool in my book.

Enjoy, and add your links in the comments! Also, we’re very active on Twitter. Swing by if you need a more frequent TLD fix or if you don’t want to be punched in the throat, because we’ll definitely throat punch you if you don’t.

Matt is an unorthodox teacher and, above all, an unorthodox writer. He taught himself French mostly by watching TV, and now lives in Korea where he is training for the International Bench-press/Bicep Biathlon.

Latest posts by Matt (see all)

geek March 22, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Many links to illegal websites…

Matt March 23, 2013 at 12:58 am

I roll the hard six.

Amit Schandillia March 25, 2013 at 2:32 am

Only for French? I found this interesting site for gadget freaks some time back but it’s in Spanish…http://www.gadgetos.com/

Matt March 25, 2013 at 3:54 am

Definitely not only for French! Ramses will be doing Spanish Booster Packs, and I’ll be doing more for French + Korean. Thanks for the link!

Liz March 25, 2013 at 2:58 am

MORE BOOSTER PACKS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! This was so helpful! Spanish and/or portuguese would be especially appreciated…….

Matt March 25, 2013 at 3:54 am

Ramses will be doing Spanish, and he may be able to do Portuguese since he was into it for a while. I’ll definitely be doing more French packs!

Amit Schandillia March 25, 2013 at 2:03 pm

A little while ago, I stumbled upon this Spanish-resource page run by a Professor Emeritus at University of Northern Iowa and found it quite rich (if you can put up with the gaudy page design, that is). Check it out and see for yourself: http://www.uni.edu/becker/Spanish3.html. I liked it enough to include a link to it on my own Spanish learning website, http://www.alwaysspanish.com. :)

Dan March 27, 2013 at 1:26 am

Legendary. My French immersion environment has been running on empty for a couple of months because I was travelling for work and had stopped actively looking for new films/bands/blogs, etc. I could feel myself drifting away from the language. These links are a great way back in, cheers!

Matt March 27, 2013 at 3:48 am

No prob, more coming soon.

entredostierras March 27, 2013 at 2:54 am

Hey, Matt when did you feel comfortable learning two languages? I’ve been learning Spanish for about a year now, but I would really like to start learning Korean. However, I’m a student so time for one language is doable, but will two languages be spreading myself too thin? How do you do it? I want to make it sure it’s possible to do it efficiently.

Matt March 27, 2013 at 3:48 am

I don’t think it’s possible to do it efficiently. Time spent on L3 is time away from L2, so I don’t encourage it. Nonetheless, I do it because hey, why not. As for when to do it, well, whenever you feel like it! There’s no ‘correct’ answer, so just have a good time ;)

Mark March 31, 2013 at 9:19 pm

more French YouTube channels:

-Awesome French Starcraft 2 casters

-Humorous commentary on games, music, film, etc.

ron June 24, 2013 at 4:53 am

Hey Matt! Thanks for the help. I’ve run into a slight glitch though. Anytime I look at something on the filesharing sites, it says “this site is not available in the U.S.” Is there anything to be done?

Justin October 6, 2013 at 6:05 am

The t411 site is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

I’ve been trying to find french dubs for recent movies and that’s been no problem especially thanks to t411. However, I keep running into a problem where the french subs never match the dubbed french dialogue. Even when I go to sites like opensubtitles.org and download every single French sub file for a movie like Skyfall, for example, none of them match the french dialogue. Did you have this problem as well Matt? And were you able to overcome it? If I could just get a handful of movies where the french subs match the french audio and then use subs2srs to create audio->french sentence cards, I imagine my listening comprehension would go through the roof!

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have

Mark October 25, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I had the same problem and found a solution for 95% of the videos by resyncing the subtitles from PAL to NTSC.
Get KMPlayer (an older version, because the newest one is full of ads; I use 3.6.0.87). Once you’ve imported the subtitle, right-click -> subtitles -> subtitle fps conversion and click on 23.976 -> 25 OR 25 -> 23.976. Sometimes it’s 25->24 or something but mostly it’s 25->23.976. Try it with the highest rated sub on opensubtltes first.

Let me know if that helps.