Spanish Booster Pack #1

Borrachero

TLD Booster Packs
Collections of 10 essential / useful / fun links for your L2!

ESSENTIAL

• Series Yonkis – Basically has all the shows you’ll ever want to watch.
  • Tele directo – More and more Spanish broadcasting stations offer live streaming. If that’s your cup of tea, this page is a great portal to start.
  • Taringa – An Argentinean site with pretty much any content you’ll ever be interested in. Also contains quite a few links to shows and music.
  • Marca – Seriously, being able to talk about sports is essential in Spain. Marca is simply the go-to place for everything that comes close to being labeled a sport.
  • El País – If you don’t know El País and study Spanish you’ve probably been learning it under a rock. Essential stuff to read, with a capital E!

USEFUL

FUN

• xkcd en español – The best webcomic for geeks, but then in Spanish.
  • Subcultura – More comics. In Spanish, of course.
  • Univision - For all you yanks who happen to be telenovela lovers. For everyone outside the US, use Mediahint to get access.
  • Antena 3 – One of the biggest television stations in Spain with a great website that enables you to watch some of the best shows in Spain.

Add your best Spanish sources in the comments!

A Spanish teacher by trade, Ramses is a true language learning addict. He started Spanish-Only.com and The Language Dojo, and isn't even thinking about quitting language learning; it's in his blood!

Latest posts by Ramses (see all)

MrNemo636 October 1, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Oh man, I’ve been waiting for this since you guys posted it was coming. I’ve checked every day, just waiting to see the wonderful resources and you definitely did not disappoint. I only have one addition that I am slightly surprised I didn’t see, but I suppose the amount of material is what limits it.
Has a ton of podcasts, audiobooks, and online radio all in Spanish that don’t need to be downloaded to listen to. It’s been amazing these past few weeks.

Ramses October 2, 2013 at 7:17 am

MrNemo636, cool addition! I wasn’t aware of its existence so thank you for sharing :-) I’ll soon publish a second booster pack.

Jay October 7, 2013 at 5:39 am

Yes, thank you for this, Ramses.

Good to see you active on the site. I get tired of that Matt asshole.

I kid, I kid. :)

Ramses October 8, 2013 at 9:13 am

Matt just texted me. He’s chartered an airplane and is on his way to slap you silly with a Korean dictionary ;-)

Jay October 9, 2013 at 6:05 am

Shit.

*hides*

Have you checked out http://dirae.es/ ?

I found it through the Spanish xkcd site.

Conor October 9, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Thanks so much, I was waiting for this! Also, I have a question. When we’re watching L2 media, obviously audio is L2 but should there ever be subtitles, and if so in L1 or L2? And does this matter on how much we already know of the foreign language? I feel if starting out with a new language, without any hints it’d be hard for stuff to be comprehensible.

Ramses October 10, 2013 at 7:10 am

We get this question a lot, so I’ll cover it more in-depth in an article soon. As for now, I can tell you this:

Personally I never used any kind of subtitles. This is because it’s very difficult to find exact subtitles in your L2. When you do have exactly matching subtitles I’d use them. Still, it doesn’t matter, over time your brain will figure out a lot so subtitles aren’t necessary. I actually broke into Spanish by watching dubbed versions of movies I had seen so many times I could dream the dialogue.

As for L1 subtitles: AVOID THEM! They add absolutely nothing. You will just become better at reading in your own language and will learn almost next to nothing of your L2.

Sarah October 22, 2013 at 3:48 am

tubabel.com is a great resource for Spanish slang. It’s kind of like a Spanish UrbanDictionary. And it can be divided by region which is really cool.

Also, NPRmusic has some Spanish radio shows (all accessible on their website/app) including AltLatino. The dialogue is usually English but it’s a great way to find new music in Spanish!

Markus October 30, 2013 at 1:00 am

I just started tu use Lingua.ly and I think it’s one of the most amazing tools I have ever seen speaking in terms of learning a language. You can double click on words on any webpage and they are stored in your vocabulary (and were spoken out loud). You get automatic translations and you can choose the on you like the most. Furthermore the whole sentence is saved and there pictures for most of the words. You can use it as SRS (a repetition option is integrated) but it has many more options (as I told at the beginning I just started to use it). For example they suggest stories to read for you. I am completly in love with it!

The only downside for maybe a few is, that it is only usable in Google chrome as extension I guess.

Tyler Muse at Lingo Live November 20, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Wow, these are some really helpful and useful links. Judging by the couple links I checked out, this list seems to be full of some pretty cool stuff. Thanks Ramses!

케이 koreannotebook December 17, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Woah. Thanks I’m usually here for the Korean related stuff but a friend of mine will totally love this thanks :)

Matt December 30, 2013 at 9:06 am

No problemo!

Noy January 27, 2014 at 7:14 am

Hola Ramses, llegué a este blog porque fue inevitable encontrarme con el Sr. Benny Lewis buscando recursos en el aprendizaje de idiomas, en mi caso particular francés, así que luego de la decepción lógica que generan sus promesas, busque en google opiniones del personaje y su método y aquí estoy muy feliz de leerlos (así sea con la ayuda del traductor de mierda de google del que todos reniegan pero todos usan, porque no hablo inglés) y ha sido refrescante encontrar opiniones honestas sobre el aprendizaje de idiomas y que chévere saber que aprendiste español. Ahora quisiera saber si tu Guía del Pobre Bastardo ¿la encuentro en español?

Matt January 28, 2014 at 2:30 am